Wednesday, August 16, 2017

How Long Should I Keep Walking?

The dirt clods muck up the treads of my boots
The dust makes circles around the the dog
The trail turns and loops to make for a nice distance.
And I count the steps until I finish.

The trees loop down and hug the trail
The leaves clog the stream where the trickle is quiet
The bugs swarm about, yes they swarm 
And the steps continue until I finish.

The marks on the road are from earlier
The arrows show how someone else got back
The shadows keep the air calm and cool
And the steps are the steps until I finish.

The other travelers are just locals
The other dogs on the trail just want a quick sniff
The meandering passers just move to the right
And the steps are my steps until I finish.

The world moves when we wish it still
The gods keep to themselves, just like the raccoons
The seasons change the trail
And the steps are just steps even after they finish.

No comments: